Sahibzada Mirza Ghulam Ahmad – True Servant of Allah


After reciting the TashahhudTa’wwuz, and Surah Al-Fatihah, Hazrat Khalifatul Masih V (aba) stated: Hazrat Ayesha (ra) narrates that (the Holy Prophet (sa) said,) “A deceased person, for whom a hundred Muslims observe the funeral prayer and all of whom intercede with Allah and ask Him for forgiveness for the deceased, will have their intercession accepted.” There is a further narration that once when a funeral passed by and the deceased was praised by people, and the Holy Prophet (sa) said, “Paradise has become certain for him.”

As you are aware, a few day ago, Respected Sahibzadah Mirza Ghulam Ahmad Sahib, son of Hazrat Sahibzada Mirza Aziz Ahmad Sahib (ra) passed away because of heart attack at the age of 78. Innaa Lillahi Wa Innaa Ilaihi Raji’oon (Surely, to Allah we belong and to Him shall we return). Respected Mirza Ghulam Ahmad Sahib was the paternal great-grandson of the Promised Messiah (as). He was the grandson of Hazrat Mirza Sultan Ahmad Sahib, the eldest son of the Promised Messiah (as). He was the son of Hazrat Mirza Aziz Ahmad Sahib (ra). He was the maternal great-grandson of Hazrat Mir Muhammad Ishaq Sahib. He was also my brother-in-law. His mother, Sahibzadi Naseerah Begum, was the eldest daughter of Hazrat Mir Muhammad Ishaq Sahib. These physical relationships are of no value on their own, what makes these relationships valuable are his attributes and characteristics, which I will relate.

He was a servant of the Faith and a life-devotee (Waqf-e-Zindagi). Recently, when I appointed him to the post of Nazir-e-Aala, despite his frailty and illness, as well as recent bereavement of his brother, he fulfilled all his duties diligently and worked exceptionally hard. So much so that even on the day of his demise, he visited many sick people at their homes. He also offered all the five prayers at Masjid Mubarak. His life as a Waqf-e-Zindagi (life devotee) commenced in May 1962. He completed his MA in political science from Government College, Lahore. Following this, he passed the demanding exam for public service commission – CSS, in flying colours. He wished to prove his abilities independently before devoting his life for the services of Islam, lest anyone said that he only devoted his life as he was not good at anything else.

After devoting his life in 1962, he was appointed by Hazrat Khalifat-ul-Masih II (ra) as the managing editor of The Review of Religions. Furthermore, Hazrat Khalifat-ul-Masih II (ra) instructed him to enhance his religious knowledge, so he studied Hadith and religious matters from Hazrat Sayyid Mir Daud Ahmad Sahib. Hazrat Sayyid Mir Daud Ahmad Sahib was the editor of The Review of Religions as well as his maternal uncle.

Initially he was named Mirza Sa’eed Ahmad. Hazrat Musleh Mau’ud (ra) later named him Mirza Ghulam Ahmad upon the request of his mother. In 1964, he was marriage was settled with my sister and Maulana Jalal-ud-Din Shams Sahib led their Nikah [marriage contract) as Hazrat Khalifat-ul-Masih II (ra) was ill in those days. He has three sons and two daughters. Two sons are life-devotees. Mirza Fazl Ahmad is the Nazir Ta’leem (director of education) in Rabwah, whereas Mirza Nasir Inam is the principal in the Jamia here in UK. Mirza Ihsan Ahmad is in America. Even though he has a secular job, he is also serving the Jama’at there as the finance secretary in the national ‘Amila (administrative body) as well as the Officer Jalsa Gah. One of his daughters is married to Mir Mahmood Ahmad Sahib, son of Mir Mas’ood Ahmad Sahib. He is also a life-devotee and currently serving as the Nazir Sehat (director of health).

Mirza Ghulam Ahmad Sahib had an illustrious career in the services of the community, serving in high and influential positions such as Nazir Taleem (director of education), additional Nazir Islah-o-Irshad Muqamifor several years and he also served as the Nazir Diwan. Furthermore, he also served as the Sadr Majlis Karpardaz (president of the committee for the Bahishti Maqbarah) from 2012 until 2018. Then, following the demise of Mirza Khurshid Ahmad Sahib, I appointed him as the Nazir-e-Aala [executive director), the local president as well as the Sadr, Sadr Anjuman Ahmadiyya. He was a member of the committee for Waqf-e-Jadid and served as the president of the committee for Waqf-e-Jadid. He served as the president of Ansarullah Pakistan, the vice president and the president of Khuddam-ul-Ahmadiyya Markaziyya. He also served as the editor of the Review of Religions after Mir Daud Ahmad Sahib. He rendered his services as the private secretary for Hazrat Khalifat-ul-Masih III (rh). He was the president of the committee for the Khilafat library as well as the president of the Buyoot-ul-Hamd Society, Rabwah. He also served as the director of the Fazl ‘Umar Foundation. Similarly, he was enabled to render his services and offer duties during Jalsa Salanas for many years. As long as Jalsas were held in Rabwah, he served as the vice Officer Jalsa Salana as well as the Nazim Mehnat(supervisor of diligent work). The task of the Nazim Mehnat (supervisor of diligent work) demands great effort, where they have to deal with labourers who are non-Ahmadis, such as those who prepare the rotinaan (bread) and dough and they also have to deal with ill-mannered people. To supervise them properly is a great task during the Jalsa. By the grace of Allah the Exalted, he was enabled to render this service in a most dignified manner. He was the president of the committee of Tabarrukat (relics). He was a member of the committee of the register of the narrations of the companions of the Promised Messiah (as). He was a member of the board of jurisprudence. He was a member of the committee of the history of Ahmadiyyat. He was the secretary of the Khilafat committee. He also served as the supervising managing director of Al-Sharikat-ul-Islamiyah. He was entrusted with many responsibilities, such as overseeing these committees, alongside the tasks of his department. In 1989, he, along with Mirza Khurshid Ahmad Sahib and two other workers in the Anjuman had the honour of being imprisoned for a few days in the cause of Allah under the article 298c.

Following the tragedy that occurred in Lahore on 28th May 2010, where many Ahmadis were martyred, Mirza Ghulam Ahmad Sahib served as the Amir of the delegation that was immediately sent to Lahore at that time by Nazir-e-Aala Sahib (executive director) to console and reassure the Jama’at, to visit the families of those martyred and to visit those that were injured. He stayed in Lahore for the following two weeks. Furthermore, he would personally supervise the arrangements that were made for (the Jama’at in) Lahore. This delegation went to Dar-uz-Zikr(name of the mosque that was attacked by the terrorist)) and fulfilled its responsibilities with great awareness and diligence. He called a meeting of the ‘Amila (administrative body) in Dar-uz-Zikr (name of the mosque that was attacked by the terrorists) on the very same day and also announced the election of the new Amir (Amir sahib was martyred in the terror attack). He led the Maghrib and ‘Isha prayers in that very mosque so that the people would develop resolves that the mosque was not going to be abandoned following the terror attack.

Mirza Ghulam Ahmad Sahib was courageous and during a hospital visit, he brought it to the attention of Governor Punjab, Salman Taseer Sahib, that the attack on the Ahmadiyya Mosque was a result of hate-filled propaganda being spread against the Jama’at and that as the governor, it is his duty to pay attention towards this. Similarly, the provincial minister for minorities, Javaid Michael, also came to express his condolence. Mirza Ghulam Ahmad Sahib thanked him for his kindness and showed great resolve by saying that we do not at all consider ourselves to be a minority. We are Muslims!’ On 29th and 30th May, they also held a press conference there. On 2nd June, they participated in a live programme on Express News, called “Point Blank”, from eleven o’clock until twelve o’clock in the evening. They gave interviews for the Swiss National TV, BBC and other services such as Voice of America, Sahara TV, Channel Five and Dunya TV etc. Nevertheless, this delegation remained there until 12th June and returned following this. During this trip he clearly told them that we are Muslims, and no one can usurp our right of being Muslims.

In one of his sermons, Hazrat Khalifatul Masih IV (rh) said that Mirza Ghulam Ahmad Sahib used to offer good advice. Once, Hazrat Khalifatul Masih IV (rh) wrote a letter to Mirza Ghulam Ahmad Sahib saying, “God Almighty has instilled honesty and felicity in your nature and He never lets such a human perish. May Allah Almighty continue to bless you with continued spiritual progress and may He grant you the paradise of obtaining peace of mind.” He was an ardent devotee of Khilafat and served the Khalifa of the time diligently, when the community was facing persecution in 1974. Hazrat Khalifatul Masih IV (rh) stated about two individuals that they are loyal to every Khilafat, these were Mirza Ghulam Ahmad and Mirza Khurshid Ahmad sahib. His wife says: “He would offer his Tahajjud (mid-night voluntary prayers)with immense pathos supplicating for the Khalifah of the time, the entire Jama’at, his parents and siblings, his children and relatives”. He maintained a balance in all his relationships. He was a kind and caring husband and generous and doting father. He was diligent in his Chanda payments and made all the payments before bringing any money home. He expressed gratitude upon receiving the smallest gifts. He would either return the favour by sending a gift to the sender or go the sender’s house and thank them in person or write to them.

Many people have written to me, and I have been a witness to this myself that these two brothers (Mirza Ghulam Ahmad and Mirza Khursid Ahmad) always remained together. At the time of every crisis they would act with great forbearance, understanding and wisdom. He was very obedient to Khilafat. Despite being very frail he attended the Jalsa here. When I suggested to him to use a walking stick, he began using a walking stick straight away. A few years ago, I instructed the Naziraan that they should visit different Jamaats and convey my message of greetings in every house. The province of Sindh was allocated to him. He travelled to Sindh and did his duty despite being in pain from a fractured bone in his foot.

His elder son writes that after the migration of Hazrat Khalifatul Masih IV (rh), the cassette for his sermons came to Ahmad Sahib first. He would gather everyone in a very organised manner and relay the sermon before them. Even after the sermons were shown on MTA, he would especially listen to them again and would ensure that all the members of the house would listen to the sermons, including the house workers. Furthermore, he would arrange for loudspeakers or even a TV for those working outside to listen to the sermon.

His son narrates that after the terror attack on the Mosque in Lahore, he reassured the families that the Sadr Anjuman Ahmadiyya has planned to transport all the burials in Rabwah. He also said that those who wish to take the bodies of their loved ones to their ancestral homes, they have the permission to do so. At the time, he was aware of many death threats and facing all these courageously, he personally led the Friday prayers in Daruz Zikr the following week to promote resolve and courage in the jama’at.

He would take great care of the poor and his old friends. In 1989, he was arrested, and the reason was that Khuddamul Ahmadiyya were holding an Ijtema (gathering) Mian Khurshid Ahmad Sahib was Nazir Umoor-e-Aama. At the time he was outside of Rabwah and the magistrate called him while Mian Ghulam Ahmad Sahib was serving as his deputy. The magistrate told him to close down the Ijtema. He replied by saying ‘since you gave us written permission to hold the Ijtema, so we will end it only when you give it in writing.’ He declined and was arrested and put in prison. His daughter writes: “Our father strived to the utmost to remain loyal to Khilafat and also advised us to do the same.”.

Then when Hadrat Khalifatul Masih IV (rh) migrated, his mother Sayyeda Naseera Begum Sahiba was terminally ill and seemed to be breathing her last. Despite this, he remained busy in the affairs of the Jama’at and the migration, so he was unable to even go to her room. He had an immense bond of obedience with the current Khilafat. His son writes that whatever letter he and his wife would receive from his mother and from the Khalifa he would copy them and place them in a file. Then he would entrust them to all his children telling them that these are the valuable assets of our time so keep these letters with you.

Mirza Anas Sahib relates that the standard of his prayers was very high, he was extremely intelligent and responsible. He was enabled to attend all five prayers in the mosque, help the poor and exert all his strengths in spending in the way of Allah.

Chaudhary Hameedullah Sahib wrote that “he possessed great insight in all matters, a man of great advice and often his suggestions proved to be decisive in all consultations. He possessed deep understanding of the literature of the Community and its history. During the turmoil of 1974, for several months he fully assisted Hazrat Khalifatul Masih III (rh). He was present in all the international trips of Hadrat Khalifatul Masih III (rh).

One of his workers in Qadian, Akram Sahib writes: “Whenever he would travel to Qadian, he would visit the homes of the Darwesh (those appointed to safeguard Qadian during the partition). Similarly, he would strive to serve the widows and orphaned children of the Darwesh. He had great knowledge of the sacred sites around Qadian. Akram Sahib writes that “whenever he would reach Qadian he would offer Nawafil (voluntary) prayers where the Promised Messiah (as) used to pray and would advise me to do the same.

Gondal Sahib wrote that “Mian Ahmad Sahib once went to visit Sindh to a remote town, which can be only reached on foot. He went on foot through the jungles to reach the Khuddam, which deeply impressed the Khuddam and even now they remember that. Asfandyar Muneeb Sahib, the Department of History in-charge writes that he was of special benefit for the history of Ahmadiyyat. He would look at the historical manuscripts with great attention and would give very valuable guidance and advice. He was well-versed in the background and minute details of the events of the Community. Mirza Ghulam Ahmad was kind, caring and took personal trouble to serve the members of his team working for him. He was conscientious, carried out his tasks dutifully and was very compassionate. He was kind to patients and helped their free treatments.

Imam of the Fazl Mosque, Atual Mujeeb Rashid Sahib states: “Towards the end of 1973, when Hazrat Khalifatul Messiah III (rh) appointed me as the National President of Khuddam-ul-Ahmadiyya after seeking consultation from the Majlis Shura of Khuddam-ul-Ahmadiyya. Owing to his vast experience, I recommended his name to serve as Deputy President in my executive committee. Mirza Ghulam Ahmad Sahib was senior to me in respect to knowledge, experience, age and status, however when he was appointed as Deputy President, he worked with great humility and extended his co-operation in every task. At no point did he ever express his seniority over me.”

Shahid Abbas Sahib from Malaysia writes: “I performed the Bai’at (oath of initiation) in 2005 and went to visit the headquarters. Mirza Ghulam Ahmad Sahib was going to his office and the Mualim [local preacher), Daniyal Sahib who was with me said, ‘he is a very close relative of the Khlaifa of the time. You should request him for prayers.’ I approached him and told him that I have accepted Ahmadiyyat from a sect among the Shia and request you to pray for me. He embraced me and then firmly gripped my hand and said with a very passionate voice, ‘should I not inform you of a person whom I also request for prayers?’ I enquired who that is? He replied, ‘The Khalifa of the time. You should write to him for prayers’. This had a lasting impact on the new convert.

He discharged every responsibility and his many roles in an excellent manner. He would show compassion as much as he possibly could to those who were facing difficulty, suffering from grief and the needy, and he would seek to alleviate their difficulties. He had a very fine understating of matters and had such God-given faculties that he would very quickly get to the core of the matter and solve the issue.

He would listen to anyone, if they had any grievance and try to resolve the matter. He would help his administrative staff if they were busy. If for administrative reasons, he had to admonish someone, he used to apologise for any hurt it caused. He was strict about budgeting and was very careful to spend the money of the Jama’at. He trained others to do so. He also had a great bond with Khilafat. He would never argue about any instructions from the Khalifa of the time. He would broker peace among the members of the community, even if it meant travelling though difficult terranes on foot, he was kind and caring to his attended to their needs. He worked harder and faster than his team and was extremely efficient. If need be, he would stay up all night to get the job done. He would personally visit the families of the missionaries and attend to their needs. He helped his work colleagues from his personal account at the times of their needs and was kind and generous. Hafiz sahib has states: “He had a special connection with Khilafat which was visible on all occasions. When he was made Nazir-e-Aala, in his first address to the Naziran (Directors) of the Anjuman he said ‘I do not need to request you for your cooperation, as you are all serving in your capacities. However, since Hazrat Khalifatul Masih (aba) has appointed me, I am in urgent need of your prayers.”

May Allah the Almighty elevate his status. He has departed to go to a place where each one of us will go at the appointed time. However, fortunate are those who spend their lives striving to attain the pleasure of God Almighty. May Allah the Almighty elevate his status and enable his children to continue his virtuous deeds. Also, all the Waqfeen(devotees of life) and office bearers should strive to fulfil their Waqf[pledge for devoting one’s life) with sincerity, just as he did and also to continue their services. May Allah grant everyone the opportunity to fulfil their pledges. May Allah continue to grant the Jamaat pious and righteous workers who serve with sincerity and passion in the future as well.

The second funeral that I will lead today is of Debaanu Farakhut Sahiba, who passed away on 26th January at the age of forty-seven. (Arabic) To Him we belong and to Him shall we return. She was suffering from long term illnesses. She was ill for quite some time and when she was fifteen, both her kidneys stopped functioning properly. Despite this, from the time she accepted Ahmadiyyat, she would offer her prayers on time as well as offering the tahajjud (pre-dawn voluntary) prayers. She would regularly recite the Holy Qur’an. She accepted Islam in 2004 and since then she was regular in her obligatory prayers, recitation of the Qur’an and also tahajjud prayers. Before accepting Ahmadiyyat she developed Hepatitis C, however, having performed the Bai’at, God Almighty granted her a miraculous recovery. She would mention her miraculous healing to members of her family. She has met me on two occasions and always exhibited sincerity and loyalty. Ameer Sahib (National President) writes: “When I went to meet her a few days ago she has prepared a meal for me. When I expressed to her that there was no need to go to all this trouble she said that it was the first time I had come to her house, and that I had come as a representative of the Khalifah. In her home she would always have MTA on the TV. May Allah the Almighty elevate her status and forgive her by showering his mercy on her. May Allah fulfil her wish and desire, which was for her family to accept Ahmadiyyat.